I love receiving my copy of Craft Stamper magazine each month. It is full of beautiful mixed media projects, fantastic inspiration, new techniques and product information. One of my favorite projects in this months issue (March 2019) is Be Authentic, a mixed media grunge piece by Preeti Datta. Her project has a fantastic mixture of texture and colour compliment. After reading the article I decided to dig out some similar supplies and use the project as inspiration for my next art journal page.
I decided to work on one of the cotton rag watercolour pages in
my original size Dina Wakley Media journal . I had previously applied a thin layer of gesso to the page. This ultimately helped create a nice smooth surface for stamping on and also allowed the inks to flow a little then sprayed with water.
The first step of my page was using Distress Oxides in Fired Brick, Carved Pumpkin and Fossilized Amber to stamp the Aall and Create #111 A4 stamp Designed by Olga Heldwein. I randomly inked the stamp with the three inks and spritzed with a little water before stamping. I spritzed the page with a little more water to spread the ink and cover more of the background.
I then used some Distress Oxide in Vintage Photo to stamp the Art by Marlene background stamp #11 a few times across my page.
Next, I randomly applied some washi tape to the lower quarter of my page. Using the Aall and Create stencil #39 by Autour de Mua I spread some modelling paste across the area of washi tape. I sprinkled a little clear embossing powder over the texture paste and dried the paste with my heat gun.
I applied a mix of Lindys Gang sprays in Ocean Breeze Blue, Bells of Ireland Green, Tainted Love Teal and Smokey Sapphire and Dylusions shimmer spray in Polished Jade on top of the modelling paste area. I used a fabric rag to dab away some of the excess spray from the raised areas of paste.
To finish the page, I created a collage focal point of thread, Scrapiniec brick style chipboards, Tim Holtz paper dolls, snarky stickers and little wooden stars. I used some distress crayon in Antiqued Bronze and Burnished Pewter to add a little colour to the stars.
I really love this page! I’m hoping to create a similar page in a different colourway soon.